The sun is shining bright, and you’re enjoying the day outside. Don’t squint! Make sure you have sunglasses that will not only protect your eyes, but will be chic, too. Not sure what’s up this season? Here are some tips for choosing the best for summer 2011:
(1) Know your face shape–round, square, oval, long or heart-shaped. Choose frames that create balance. For example, if your face is round or if you have round features (like I have a round nose, cheeks and chin), then select frames with angles. None of the retro round shades for me! If your face is more angular (square or heart-shaped), then you need a rounded frame to soften the angles of your face. If your face is long, try frames that have some depth (2 plus inches from top to bottom) or over-sized to create some width in your face. You don’t want anything that is too small or narrow–these will make your face look even longer. Oval shaped faces are in luck…they can pretty much wear anything!
(2) New trends in frames this season include: retro round, animal prints, translucent colorful, and cat-eye. Of course, classic Aviators and Way-farers will never go out of style.
(3) If you are constantly loosing sunglasses, no worries! Stores like Target, H&M, Forever 21 and the BP department at Nordstrom have current styles on the cheap! Buy two, and when you loose one pair, you’ll have another on deck!
(4) Don’t wear fashion shades for sports! Lines like Maui Jim and Oakley (with polarized lenses) are designed to be lightweight and protective for sports and outdoor activities.
(5) Don’t use your shades as a headband! They’ll stretch out, and you don’t want them to fall off your face when you look down.
Check out Renee’s recent shopping experience with me for her sunglasses. By the way, can you tell what her face shape is?
I think she chose wisely, don’t you? Did you guess correctly? Renee’s face is oval!
What’s your favorite pair of shades? I LOVE my Ray Ban aviators! Happy Summer! 🙂