East Bay stylist Carolyn Rovner gives you the lowdown on what not to miss when the department store slashes prices on fall’s hottest styles.
Summer fun is in full swing! And while I love a summer concert or a day at the beach, this savvy shopper’s “must-do” summer activity is shopping the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. Ok…it is a little weird trying on leather, wool, and cashmere when it’s a scorcher outside. But, it’s SO worth it! The Anniversary Sale (starting July 20) is THE time to get a jump on fall trends while saving money on designer-brand clothing before prices go up on August 6.
Check out my favorite super-trendy pieces for fall:
1. Leather and Leather Accents: A leather top is really sexy…this one by Halogen ($84.90) is easy to wear because of its knit cotton back. Great with a pencil skirt for a creative work environment, or for after hours with metallic jeans!
2. Anything Red: Fall outfits will pop when paired with red accessories. Handbags and shoes in rich shades of burgundy (deep red), claret (purple-ish red) or maroon (brownish red) look chic with navy, grey and black. I love this structured bag by Cole Haan ($198.90).
3. Flat Boots: The chocolate (or black) riding boot from Michael Kors ($179.90) is a wardrobe staple. The high-quality leather and stylish details are classic, and it has stretchy fabric built in to accommodate an athletic calf. You really can’t go wrong when wearing them with skinny jeans or leggings and a yummy sweater!
4. Jackets: This is THE item of clothing that transforms an outfit into an ensemble. Throw a jacket over a t-shirt and jeans or a basic sheath dress, and you instantly take the look to another level. This tweed jacket by McGinn ($249) is perfect for both work and play, and its peplum detail is another hot trend for Fall 2012.
5. Gold jewelry: Gold jewelry has made a comeback this fall. I prefer brushed/textured pieces (like this piece by Nordstrom, $31.90) that aren’t as shiny, in-your-face gold. Don’t stress about mixing metals…it’s really ok, and actually more interesting than matchy-matchy sets.
This is an extremely popular sale, and coveted brands such as Vince Camuto, Theory, Rag & Bone and kate spade new york get snatched up quick. If they’re out of your size, don’t fret! Ask your sales associate to check other Nordstrom stores, and it will be sent directly to your home. If it’s sold out within the entire company, you may still be in luck if you check back in the weeks ahead, as other shoppers will return items…and YOU ultimately score!